Thursday, September 10, 2009

What Happened to Spoon Lady?

It's odd what we dream about sometimes. I had this dream about spoon lady the other day.
Spoon lady was real. She sat on a bench facing Albany St. everyday. I don't really know when the first time I noticed her was. I just remember at first thinking it was a bit strange. She was sitting on the bench all alone, headphones on her head and going crazy with her spoons.
It's funny I didn't realize how many people noticed spoon lady, and those who didn't started looking for her. I think she really was becoming famous in Herkimer.
The kids laughed at first, but after the first time it was like we looked forward to going by her. No matter what time of day it was, she was there. I wonder if she even cared that there was a busy bus stop behind her? I never saw anyone bother her, or sitting with her. I wondered if she was lonely sitting there all day alone.She always had a lunchbox by her side. Maybe soup?
One day we saw her playing air guitar. We were thinking new music or maybe she ran out of clean spoons? No matter what she was jammin, spoons or no spoons.
On one of my roughest days I passed by her and thought " Man I wish I could sit there all day without a care in the world listening to music and playing my spoons". But spoon lady is gone now. The bench is almost always empty when we go by. At first we wondered what happened to her. Maybe someone thought she was crazy and took her away? If I go sit on that bench right now and play my spoons would someone take me away, probably. I know I feel like that is her bench and when I do see someone sitting on it, it irritates me now. I don't even know why, its public property. A few weeks ago Brandon said he heard spoon lady moved. Last week he said she died because she played the knives while listening to Judas Priest.
As funny as it sounds I wanted to be like spoon lady. We heard she really did die. Maybe she was sick and knew it all along. Maybe she needed that park bench, thats all she wanted to do. Sit and play her spoons. Thats what made her happy. I don't want to be like spoon lady now.
In my dream I was sitting on the bench right next to her though.Trying to get her to show me how to play the spoons. Of course all I had was the damn sporks from the hospital cafeteria. The only song I could hear was Mickey Mouse Clubhouse "Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggity Dog". It was playing really loud in one of those boom boxes and some guy was break dancing on the side walk in front of us. I just kept dropping the my sporks and she wouldn't even look at me. Maybe she thought I was a bit odd ?

No comments:

Post a Comment